Saturday, July 27, 2013

Catching up on Summer Card Camp


I did well the first week of card camp and made 4 out of 5 cards.  Then we went on vacation.  And then we had Vacation Bible School.  But I've finally done a little stamping today and am making some headway!  

I started with the last card for Week 1.  The homework that day was to try out one (or more) of the additional color combinations.  I translated the one I chose (the third one) to be Peach Parfait (SU), Raspberry Ripple (SU), Concord Crush (SU), Hawaiian Shores (PTI), and white.  I also used one of the sketches for the week, but turned the card base horizontally.  




This was my first time using my new PTI Rosie Posie step 2 set.  I love the results!  Very fun!   (For the "Step 2" I used Orange Zest (PTI), Purely Pomegranate (SU), and Blueberry Sky (PTI).    I really liked these colors together and NEVER would have chosen them on my own.  

Feeling good about things, I moved on to Week 2.  I translated the weeks' colors as Vintage Cream (PTI), Spring Rain (PTI), Simply Chartreuse (PTI), Ripe Avocado (PTI) and dark brown -- in some cases I used Early Espresso (SU) and in others I used Dark Chocolate (PTI).  For Day 1, I decided to follow Kristina's example and dive right in with the circle card.  



My Nesties came in handy for this card.  I used some patterned paper from SU (Washington Apple, retired). The stamps are from Papertrey's Flutterby Friend.   I printed and cut the "It's Your Day" banner with my Silhouette.  Then, as I was placing the banner across the card, I decided to partially cut out the butterfly's wings to layer over the banner.  I colored the leaves and butterfly with Copics and added some Stickles to the butterfly's wings.   

I did 2 cards for Week 2, Day 2.  For the first one, I used my Quilled Elegance set from Papertrey.  Boy, I love that set.  It's so, so pretty!  I used my Versamark Pen to cover the Copic-colored images and heat embossed with clear powder.  I carefully cut away part of the flowers to hang over the edge.  I popped that panel up over some Simply Chartreuse patterned paper (PTI).  



Also for Day 2, I tried another sketch.   When I saw the circles on the third sketch, I knew I had to pull out my Circle Circus set from SU. 


 I am so very guilty of using only my PTI sets and forgetting I even own some really fun SU sets (as well as some from other companies).  But this sketch helped me remember my cute little Circle Circus set.   I used tone on tone embossing (Versamark with clear embossing) for all of the circles.  Some circles were punched, others were die cut with my Nesties.  The "Smile" is from Happy Trails (PTI).  That font alone makes me smile when I see it.  I rounded the right-hand corners with my Corner Chomper and added  some "stitches" with a white pencil.  


Moving on to Day 3.  A shaker card?  I had never made one because I had never wanted to cut that much foam tape and try to make it into a circle.  (Yes, I know you can buy the circles of foam tape, but I don't ever make shaker cards.  See the problem???)    But Kelly Marie Alvarez used fun foam cut with circle dies. I have LOTS of fun foam!   I had to give it a try.  Too bad my nighttime cell-phone photography just doesn't do it justice.



I created my own sky background on Vintage Cream cardstock (PTI) with Spring Rain ink (PTI) and the Heart 2 Heart #6 cloud dies (PTI).  I used the striped pattern from the Simply Chartreuse pattern pack (PTI).  My clear window is cut from packaging.  The stamps (and die) are Bitty Baby Blessings (PTI).  The most stressful part for me was deciding what would "shake" inside the card.  I settled for some of Stampin' Up's chunky glitter and some punched circles -- some covered in glitter, some colored with Copics.  

Then Day 4 comes with a challenge:  Use holiday stamps for a non-holiday card.  Honestly, this is a little less stressful than the first week's 10-minute challenge.  I looked through my holiday stamps and settled on a set I've had for a long time.  I don't know what company made the set, but I bought it for its string of Christmas lights.  I decided that the string of lights could become a branch with leaves!  



I patterned the layout of my card (very obviously) after Dawn McVey's card for Day 4.  I love Dawn.  Her cards make me happy.  Since I had a branch, I needed a bird.  I found my bird in my Polka Dot Parade #5 set.  He's a plump, happy bird, isn't he?  I stamped him in Dark Chocolate (PTI) and Spring Rain (PTI).  The "Happy Birthday" and the music notes are stamped in Early Espresso (SU).  I colored the "leaves" with a Copic marker.     

Well, that's about all the card-making and blogging I can squeeze into one day.  I'll be back at my desk tomorrow afternoon to get the rest of my cards made and posted!  I don't remember having any cram sessions in college that were this much fun!

Amy



No comments: