Monday, February 14, 2011

Make-it Monday #2


Today's video tutorial and challenge over at Papertrey Ink is to use a vellum strip on a project. Since I just got in a really big (for me, anyway) box from Papertrey last week, I have a lot of goodies that I haven't played with yet. This challenge was begging me to try out Lisa Johnson's Flutterby Friend set that I finally purchased. Oh, I'm so glad I did. What a gorgeous set! I also needed to ink up another set that was in my new box -- Background Basics: Sheet Music. Oh, Dawn, thank you so much for giving us the set that so many of us were dreaming of. It's a beautiful background. For my card color, I chose the color that I really hope is close to the new Royal Velvet. This one is Stampin' Up's In-color Concord Crush. I am in love with this color, and I really don't even like purple as a general rule. I'd rather order my paper from PTI, though, so I'm hoping that I will be equally in love with Royal Velvet. Since I already had horizontal lines running across the paper with the Sheet Music background, I thought that the additional lines from a vellum strip would be too much, so I decided to run the vellum through with that well-used Fillable Frames #4 die. (I do own other Fillable Frames, I promise!) I love the way my embossed stems and even the background show through the vellum. By the way, since it's always an issue with Vellum, I should say that I attached the vellum tag with vellum tape. I think I bought it a Michaels ages and ages ago. I'm impressed that it doesn't show. I would have used my Xyron, though, if I had any adhesive in it.

I need to say a word about the embossing. I think that word is "ACK!" Seriously, Nicole makes it look so very easy. I used the same embossing powder she did. I used the embossing buddy just like she did. Evidently, I'm just stickier than she is. This is actually the 2nd card like this that I made. The first attempt had even more stray white specks than this one. I think I really need to just limit myself to clear embossing powder and leave the pretty white (or black or silver or gold...) stuff to the embossing pros.

Supplies:

Paper: Concord Crush (SU)
Ink: Versamark, Fresh Snow (PTI), Concord Crush (SU)
Stamps: Background Basics: Sheet Music (PTI), Flutterby Friend (PTI)
Other: Filigree White embossing powder, Fillable Frames #4 die (PTI), Scor-pal
Posted by Picasa

3 comments:

Jen F. said...

LOVE THIS!! That's a card I'd love to receive ... wink wink!

The Paper Parade said...

What a great idea to make your strip out of a die, and not just a strip like everyone else. Makes you really stand out :) Awesome job!

Laura.K said...

Gorgeous card. So simple and delicate.

I have also problem with the white embossing but I practice.